Thursday, April 07, 2011

No Shampoo Day 5

This past Saturday I started, or rather stopped, using store bought shampoo. I stumbled upon an article about a woman who had done the same thing and never looked back. Researching more stories about the topic I came across nothing but positive reviews. So how does your hair stay clean? What I read about and have been doing is washing with a baking soda solution and then rinsing with apple cider vinegar (I will provide recipes in another post). Since starting I have washed with the baking soda rinse 3 times. I normally wash my hair every single day. The first time I washed my hair with this solution it felt super light and almost brand new. My brush went right through it and it felt like I had less hair on my head. So far it has been pretty good. It is hard for me to judge how often to use the baking soda solution to wash my hair. I washed it again today after 3 days because my hair was getting a little greasy (sprinkled corn starch can help absorb grease). After washing it with baking soda and rinsing with an herb rinse my hair felt weird and kind of heavy. I don't know what is going on with it but I am still in transition so I hold hope that it will get better with time. If it does get better it will be so worth it for me!

In my research I read that greasy hair is not dirty hair and there is a transition period of 2 weeks to 2 months where your scalp needs to adjust. During this transition period your scalp may overproduce oils to compensate for the change but after that your hair will regulate. When it regulates your hair is supposed to look and feel awesome, holding styles through the day. I will keep you in the loop as I go through this process. I don't know what to expect and I am adjusting as I go along. My hope is that if you want to try it that my experience can help you.

I decided to try this out because I have very fine hair that gets greasy quickly. I normally wash it everyday. Once my scalp adjusts I should be able to wash my hair every 4 to 5 days which is great. Also, you can avoid chemicals getting into your body by going the all natural route and it is inexpensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment